Saturday, September 19, 2009

Thailand

I have a real love hate relationship with Thailand. I love how cheep EVERYTHING is and how good the food tastes. I love the shopping, beaches and crystal clear water. I love getting a massage or two everyday. I can not live with out fruit, it's my favorite food in the whole world. The fruit in Thailand is so abundant. We would drink 3-4 fruit smoothies a day, what I would give for a papaya guava smoothie right now. Oh and the orange juice, if I were Oprah I would have this delivered to my set every morning. 

But there are a few things that keep this far from my favorite country. Because EVERYTHING in the county is catered to tourist the people seem so unhappy and jaded to it all. They're all missing something. Nobody was particularly kind, helpful or just generally happy. I know this sounds so below shallow, but the people are not attractive at all and the language is the harmful to the ears. The average tourists traveling to Thailand is about 17-24 and their objective is 2 things: alcohol and women. I had tears in my eyes for all the mother of these lost children. They would be on the street at 7 am in the middle of the road with their face in their own sickness and clothes half way on, just heartbreaking. I will leave the not so good things for a while, on with the good. 
Banana Pancake, now this is goodness!

Ko San Road, translates to hell on earth. There was just enough good (food, shopping, cheep lodging) to make you stay and all the bad would slowly effect you. At first it was heaven on earth and by the end I was ready to pay anything to leave. 

The Thia have some AWESOME temples. We got this tut tut driver to take us around at night and we were the only ones walking around these massive lit up temples. No heat and no tourists, I highly recommend it!

Budget Guest House. I love this place. One night when we returned from Nepal we realized our credit cards have been counter fitted at the ATM. No not stolen, we had them in our hands. But someone did some magic trick and made new cards after we had withdrawn money. Anyway, we had NOTHING! Well a I guess 2 baht, but that's less than 5 cents. We have not anything to eat since breakfast and it's not 1 am and we're walking the streets of Ko Sun Rd. If you ever have seen The Beach with the most talented Leo (and I'm sure most of you have not unless you've been to Thailand) that's what it was like only with out drugs. The lady at this place let us stay here and loaned us money to get some food, this is unheard of here. So yes there are a few nice Thai. 
So so many knock offs. I'm now instantly happy. We found a mall with like 8 levels. It was cut short when you realized everything was the same. But still a few good finds for sure!

We left the madness of Bangkok to go and find some beauty in the island of Ko Tao. The main reason we choose to go here is because it's the cheapest place in the world to get scuba certified. For less than $300 we got PADI certified, 3 nights hotel and 4 dives! Yes these are the reasons everyone loves this country!

We're such scroungers, we don't even have a beach towel. How can a 1 hour massage cost $6 and a hotel cost $8 but a beach towel is $20? 

Walking on these beaches at night is so beautiful. The sky gets so blue and all the restaurants light candles and torches, so romantic. 

Ko Tao has a few hidden gems for beaches that are less crowded. 

Taking advantage of our underwater camera. We find each other more interesting than the fish. 

The view from our bungalow. The beauty of these beaches is the solidarity. But for 2 days solidarity can turn into boredom. 


On the beaches they have these fish bbqs. You go pick out your fish and they cook it and bring it to you, so good! 
A little bored.

So yeah, Thailand is bittersweet. But go go go!!! In other words, we had a great time and loved it. 

5 comments:

Moka said...

cute pictures! again soooooo jealous!

Waltman said...

Mia, you and Dan are the best. Seriously perfect for each other! I love that you do so many fun things together. I'm so jealous. Not to mention that you're both beautiful. It looks like you guys had the funnest summer.

Britt Chudleigh said...

I don't even know what to say. You guys do things that are so far out of my comfort zone. Can I just live though your adventure? I am never going to get crazier than Europe I am afraid. :)

Katelyn & Wade said...

i loved seeing all the photo's. what a cool trip. i want to be like you guys!

Abby said...

AH! That looks amazing! Glad I can read about your adventure! We miss you guys!