Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Nepal

Dan and I were set off to travel various countries in Asia this summer and were set back in time so we happily settled on Nepal and Thailand (and Korea for a day). I was REALLY sad we didn't make it to India and Tibet, but I REALLY loved Nepal. I loved Nepal the most so I will blog about it first, because I might never get to the rest the way I'm blogging lately. Nepal is like NO other country I've been before, even though I was constantly comparing it to India it was still so different. 

There are tons of knock off mountain gear stores selling all kinds of stuff for cheap, too bad we had to carry everything on our backs or we would have taken orders.

The kids would follow you in the taxis selling you Nepali goods.

At the top of Monkey Temple, the view of Kathmandu the countries capital city. It's very polluted so it was nice to escape to the mountains.



All the buses would stop at the local tea shops for breaks. The rides were 6-7 hours and I was always so sick from traveling (I get motion sickness doing anything) so they were nice breaks. 

I love all the road signs!

SO BEAUTIFUL
One morning we woke up to these mountains! They were breath taking. We went during the monsoon season (beauty of traveling on a school schedule) so we were considered lucky to have seen the Annapurna's 

Checking in for our trek to Poon Hill, 3 days/2 nights.


The whole trek was beyond beautiful, amazing! There were countless waterfalls, lush green hills and I could only imagine how it would be in October with those beasts of mountains shadowing over you. Next time, because there will defiantly be a next time!

This is when is started to get into the forest area. Leeches, watch out!

We slept and ate at local tea houses in the mountains. This was my favorite part about the trip. I love to see the real life. These people have to hike 2 days to reach town, everything is like traveling back in time. They're so friendly and charge less than $2.00 for a nights stay! This is our favorite family making dinner.

Yes we got attacked by leeches, many, many leeches. This was my life's worst moment (I guess things are going pretty well)! If you remember Temple of Doom and how the blond chick was freaking out when she saw all the cockroaches in the cave, that was so me and maybe a little worse. I have NEVER acted to horribly in my life. We were lost and couldn't find the trail. We opted for no guide, which was going well until we got lost and were attacked by leeches and ran into dead carcases, ahhhh it was horrible. At one point I had at least 20 leeches crawling in and out of the netting of my shoes and socks. We were soon rescued by some Danish girls and their guides with salt rags, oh yea salt!

Poon Hill
So supposedly there is this amazing view of the Annapurna's Mountain range behind Dan, so sad. Oh well, you always have to leave something so you can have a reason to come back.

Chit wan National Park

Chit wan was great minus our guest house. We were able to take an Elephant ride and bathe the elephants, see wild rhino, go on a nature walk (not my fav, too many unfamiliar insects) and get suckered into taking the "tourist bus" that was actually the local bus. After that we reference this place to *&$#wan. 

And there she is, the beautiful Everest. We took a mountain flight to see her. It was scary taking the little plane, but so peaceful being surrounded by clouds and mountains.





7 comments:

Campbell Family said...

Wow, can I join your little family??? Seriously, you two do the most amazing things! At least I can live through your blogs.... you need to blog more :) Hopefully we'll see you soon!!

Becky said...

This looks amazing!! I'm with the Campbell family, can we join your family? How do you even begin to plan trips like this?? Please let me in on the secret! Please email me!!! bgrimnes@gmail.com I would love to hear how to start!!!

xoxo
Becky

Jessica said...

WOW! I love the pictures, and what an AMAZING trip! I'm so jealous (minus the leech part, of course!) You'd better post about the rest of your trip!

The Allen Family said...

I love the pictures! I am so jealous of your adventures!

erin and shaun said...

Amazing! Can we join your travel club? You are living out my dream by traveling so much, love you adventurous spirits!

chelsea b james said...

i wuv your pics!

Britt Chudleigh said...

freakin amazing pics you guys.